Diabetes prevention in children is critical. Because data from the Indonesian Pediatrician Association (IDAI) show that the incidence of diabetes in children aged 0-18 years has increased by 700% in the last ten years.
Diabetes mellitus (DM), also known as diabetes, is a metabolic disorder caused by a chronic increase in blood sugar levels above normal levels. This is due to a malfunction in the pancreas gland’s insulin hormone production.
Insulin controls the use of glucose by muscle, fat, and other cells in the body. Reduced insulin production results in high blood sugar levels and disruptions in carbohydrate, fat, and protein metabolism.
5 Ways to Prevent Child Diabetes
Diabetes in children exhibiting similar symptoms in general. As a result, diabetes prevention is the same as diabetes prevention in adults.
Obesity is known to affect type 2 diabetes cases, so prevention is carried out by adopting a healthy lifestyle as follows:
- Maintain a healthy weight. To reduce the risk, if the child is overweight, try to reduce it by 5-10%.
- Increase your intake of fruits and vegetables. The risk of type 2 diabetes can be reduced by eating a variety of fruits and vegetables every day.
- Reduce your intake of sweet and fizzy drinks. Make drinking water a top priority.
- Exercising vigorously. Exercise for at least 30 minutes per day.
- Reduce your use of gadgets and increase your physical activity.
Parents can also teach their children to choose healthy snacks or snacks when they are not at home or school. Because, in general, these snacks are high in sugar, which is undoubtedly unhealthy for children.
Also read: 5 Signs to Determine You Have Healthy Kids