Flu is very easy to spread, especially at work and school. Here are several tips to avoid getting flu at work and school.
- Find out what your employer’s policies are in the event of a flu or other sickness epidemic, and whether flu shots are available on-site.
- Ensure that your office has enough tissues, soap, paper towels, alcohol-based hand rubs, and sanitary wipes.
- Clean regularly handled devices and surfaces, such as doorknobs, keyboards, and phones, on a regular basis to help eradicate germs.
- Train people to do your work in order to cover for you if you or a family member becomes ill and has to stay at home.
- If you start feeling ill at work, get back home as soon as possible.
- Find out what plans your child’s school, daycare program, and/or college have in place in the event of a flu or other sickness epidemic, and if flu vaccines are available on-site.
- Make certain that your child’s school, daycare program, and/or college clean commonly handled objects and surfaces on a regular basis, and that they have a sufficient quantity of tissues, soaps, toilet paper, alcohol-based hand rubs, and sanitary wipes on hand.
- Inquire about how sick children and employees are segregated from others, who will care for them until they can return home, and the sick kids and staff absence policies.